Sunday, January 19, 2014

Books. . . .

I recently subscribed to eReaderIQ which advertises itself as " The Easier, Faster and Smarter Way to Kindle!"  You specify the type of books you're interested, and they will send you an email of ebooks in that category that are low price (even free!).

Yesterday's free deals included The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook: A lifestyle of Healthy Foods by Stacy Michaels.  The first recipe I looked at was for Margherita Lasagna.  Seems like a pretty typical lasagna recipe - layers of sauce, noodles, ricotta, and mozzarella.  The sauce sounded interesting:

2 pounds of Roma tomatoes
2 pounds Campari or cherry tomatoes
3 cups chopped onion
4 cloves smashed garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup minced fresh basil

I only made half the recipe - a pound of plum tomatoes and a pound of beefsteak tomatoes. And half of an onion, diced plus 5 cloves of garlic.  Less oil - just a little to coat the bottom of the pan.  No red pepper flakes, and dried herbs instead of fresh.  But I more or less followed the directions: quarter the tomatoes, then toss everything in a pan and roast for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.  After it's roasted, puree in a food processor.

I don't know if I've ever made tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes, but this turned out fairly well.  Going to use it make lasagna tomorrow.

And I also made some Onion Soup - onions caramelized in a browned butter, then a little sherry and chicken broth.  Then served with homemade croutons and a salad made with hydroponic lettuce (I've been getting a co-op basket each week, and it routinely has the best lettuce.)

Other new recipes to try this week:
Breakfast Tostadas from www.amuse-your-bouche.com (I found this site looking for a recipe for mushrooms.  This week's co-op basket also included mushrooms, and while this recipe doesn't have mushrooms, it is gluten free).
Baby Gem Salad also from www.amuse-your-bouche.com
Cheese and Walnut Salad also from www.amuse-your-bouche.com

King Ranch Casserole from Found Recipes on npr.org (I heard about this while listening to NPR; I thought it sounded interested, and potentially easy to reduce the fat, etc. to make it healthier, including making mushroom soup from the co-op basket mushrooms.)
KFC-Inspired Chicken (gluten free; made in a slow cooker) also from Found Recipes on npr.org (I found this while browsing the Found Recipes; sounds like a good fit with the King Ranch Casserole which calls for cooked chicken).

I also need to start my tomato plants!  I usually wait until mid-February, but then they never seem big enough when it's time to plant them.